Straight from my Alabama kitchen here is a true southern recipe. Tangy and delicious.
Traditional Southern Cooking. Vegetarian.
You will need:
- Iron skillet. Ok so you could technically make these in another kind of skillet but I promise they will not taste the same.
- 2 eggs (farm fresh is best of course!)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 cup white cornmeal
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil or coconut oil
- Slice tomatoes.
- Place 1/4 cup flour in a flat bottom bowl or plate.
- Beat buttermilk and eggs together in a bowl suitable for dipping tomato slices.
- Mix remaining flour with corn meal in a separate flat bottom bowl or plate. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in iron skillet until water drops sizzle.
- Dredge each tomato slice in the flour first, then dip into the egg mixture, then finally coat in the cornmeal mix
- Fry in heated oil until golden brown on each side.
Please note, southern cooks are not taught to cook using measurements. I attempted to measure my ingredients to create this recipe but I cook traditional southern dishes without measuring so feel free to adjust it to your tastes.
Have a Daisy May Day!